Deadline to Retake Summatives: Energy Forms & Transformations is Tuesday, 15th and for Energy Resources is Friday, 25th
goals of the week:
research and debate the advantages and disadvantages of using fossil fuels, nuclear, biomas, solar, wind, hydropower and geothermal
investigate the methods of thermal energy transfer, including conduction, convection, and radiation
verify through investigations that thermal energy moves in a predictable pattern from warmer to cooler until all the substances attain the same temperature such as an ice cube melting
Using the graph above, what is the most significant way to decrease energy consumption in a household according to the graph provided?
- Turn off computers and other electronics when they are not in use
- Increase the temperature of a house in warm months, and decrease it in cool months
- Turn off lighting that is not necessary, or when the household is empty
- Keep the refrigeration door closed as much as possible to avoid letting cold air out.
Tuesday: Some renewable energy resources produce more energy at certain times of the day or year. Which combination of energy resources are renewable resources that can produce a steady flow of energy 24 hours a day, year-round?
- Geothermal energy and natural gas
- Solar and Petroleum
- Hydroelectric and Geothermal
- Solar and Wind
Wednesday: Conduction can only occur between two objects when –
- one object is less dense than the other.
- both objects are in physical contact with each other.
- one of the objects is made of a metal.
- both objects are exactly the same temperature.
Thursday: click on this PDF for the warm up, convection demo
Friday: In an investigation a student places a frozen ice pack inside a beaker of hot water. The student records the temperature of the water over a time of 5 minutes. What observation is the student most likely to make and why?
- Cold will transfer from the ice pack to the water through radiation decreasing the temperature of the water.
- Thermal energy will transfer to the hot water through convection and it will increase in temperature.
- Cold will transfer from the ice pack to the water through conduction decreasing the water’s temperature.
- Thermal energy will transfer from the water to the ice pack through conduction decreasing the water’s temperature.
in class on…
Monday- students took their energy resources DCA, a formative.
Tuesday- students took their energy resources summative.
Wednesday, students learned how they did on both assessments above. Afterwards, we began our new unit watching this clip called Heat by StudyJam. Afterwards students began making their GKW for this unit. These words & definitions are found on my Google Classroom as a Quizlet. This Friday, students will be have a quiz over them and they’ll be able to use their notebook in which these GKWs are to be written.
Thursday, students began and will finish tomorrow a fold-able, convection, conduction and radiation (see below). Students also received a homework assignment: Reading Science- Convection, Conduction and Radiation. See Google Classroom to download, if needed.
Tuesday, begin working on their GKWs in prep for this Friday’s quiz over them.